HangUps Art and Framing, established in 1980, offers custom framing, gifts and accessories. The store has 16 employees and offers two locations in High Point, North Carolina.
Edward Coultress, co-owner, opened the business but his wife and co-owner, Judy, became involved in daily operations when they expanded its gift and accessory offerings.
Walk-in business is strong at each store, as both are near restaurants and a movie theatre. However, the merchandise and staff draws customers in. “Being special starts with excellent customer service. Each customer that walks through our door is a gift to us,” explained Judy. “We value each and every customer and feel it is our responsibility to create a worthy shopping experience.”
Judy researches gift and apparel trends and purchases items at the market in Atlanta. “Our merchandise displays are superb and change constantly to meet the demands of our new products and selections,” she said.
HangUps goal is simple — to have something for everyone. If a line doesn’t work, owners adjust inventory levels with a bi-annual patio sale and offers new collections that do work. Employees are valued and play a role in curating the merchandise mix.
HangUps offers a variety of products, from Yeti coolers to apparel, wallets, backpacks, apparel, jewelry, home décor, stationery, baby items, and more. “We carry several inspirational jewelry lines such as Mantra Bands, Luca and Dani, Little Words and more,” said Judy. Other major lines include: Pandora, Vera Bradley, Alex and Ani, Sheila Fajl, Hobo, Waxing Poetic, and more.
“My favorite part of owning a business is the pride I feel when customers or people in the community appreciate our hard work and dedication to them,” said Judy. “My motto is and always will be: ‘I want you to feel better when you leave our store than when you came in.’”
Best-Sellers at Hang Ups
- Home-décor: Glory Haus mugs and signs, Magnolia Lane Flags, Swan Creek candles and melts, Capri Blue candles and diffuser oil, and Thymes Frasier Fir.
- Kitchen: nora fleming serving dishes and decorative toppers.
- Stationery and/or greeting cards: Kate Spade stationery, Lily Pullitzer agendas, Gina B. Designs greeting cards.
- Accessories & Handbags: Hobo, Vera Bradley, Blythe Leonard, Spartina.
- Apparel: Judy Blue Jeans, Aryeh dresses, Simply Southern T-shirts, Rainbow Sandals, Katydid, Honey & Me, and Cobblestone Market.
- Jewelry: Pandora; Alex & Ani, Eremish, Sheila Fajl, Luca + Danni, T.Jazelle, ShineLife, Spartina Jewelry, Uno de 50, Katie Loxton, and Silver Forest.
- Baby and kids: Copper Pearl for bibs, swaddles, burp cloths, Bunnies By Bay plush, Bella Tunno bibs, plates and teethers, LoveBug newborn gowns, Milkbarn baby clothing, JellyCat plush and books.
- Miscellaneous: Yeti, Swig, Inis bath and body products, Beekman 1802, Naked Bee, Michel Design Works, JellyCat plush for adults, O-Venture Keyrings, Peepers, 4 Ocean, Hot Sox, Spongelle, Jack Black, and Duke Cannon for men.
- Pets: Various wall plaques & mugs from Tall Tails.