Las Vegas Market, Houseware Design Awards big hit this winter
This winter’s Las Vegas Market was nothing short of incredibly inspiring. From simply a product standpoint, there were so many new items and collections that were on point, trend-wise. These are some of our favorite reoccurring themes:
Black and white and gold all over | This super simplistic combo has been gaining traction recently, especially when the black-and-white duo is showcased in stripes.
Gilded hints | That lovely look of gold being the accent to a more dominant color is something we’re really loving right now.
Geometric shapes | Because math is everywhere.
Animalisms | Animals dressed as people, doing human activities will never get old.
On Tuesday, I hosted a seminar about the Maker Movement. I, along with a panel of maker-specific leaders, discussed the ins and outs of becoming a maker, selling small-batch products in shops and where to turn for advice on both. There’s a heavy focus on learning practical skills and applying them to professions that create some beloved products in our gift industry. This movement is an evolution of the millions of people pouring their time and energy to making and selling their own creations. This trend’s incredible shift will continue to have an effect on larger retailers, making it a special, memorable time in history and shaping the future.
Speaking of trends, I had the pleasure of checking out the 13th annual Housewares Design Awards while at this market. Presented by HomeWorld Business, the Housewares Design Awards focused on design innovation and celebrated 65 product finalists in 13 categories. Attendees were able to see the spotlighted finalists on display at the event on Tuesday, January 30.
Along with the announcement of the winners, the second annual “Design Influencer of the Year” award was presented to Joanne Domeniconi, co-founder and chief discovery officer of The Grommet.
“Las Vegas Market is delighted to celebrate creativity and innovation in the housewares industry by hosting the Housewares Design Awards,” said Dorothy Belshaw, president of Gift Leasing and Chief Marketing Officer, International Market Centers.
During the event, Peter Giannetti, Editor-in-Chief of HomeWorld Business, announced the finalists and Best in Category winners in 11 categories. From the Best in Category winners, a trio of Best of the Best overall products — Gold, Silver and Bronze winners – were also revealed.
In addition to these awards, iRobot received the inaugural “SMART” Award for its Roomba 690 Wi-Fi Connected Robot Vacuum that launched this year.
2018 Housewares Design Awards finalists include (winners shown in bold):
Cookware & Bakeware
- Cooking Miracle, LLC, Smartbowl System
- Emile Henry, Soup Pot
- Lifetime Brands, Inc., Sabatier Rust Resistant Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware
- Newell Brands, Calphalon Premier Space Saving Cookware
- SCANPAN USA, SCANPAN PRO S5 9.5-inch Fry Pan
Countertop Cooking & Beverage Appliances
- Chefman, Chefman Perfect Pour Volcano Belgian Waffle Maker
- Fagor America, LUX LCD Multi-Cooker
- JURA Inc., Capresso Froth Control
- JURA Inc., JURA J6
- Midea America Corp., Midea Glass Kettle
Countertop Food Prep Appliances
- Bianco Asia Limited, Multi-function Vacuum Pump System
- Braun, Braun MultiQuick 9 Hand Blender
- Lidl US, Silvercrest Juicer
- Lidl US, Silvercrest Smoothie Maker
- TRIBEST CORP, Dynapro Commercial Vacuum Blender
- Architec Brands, Architec Gripperwood Acacia Grilling & Concave Board
- Botto Design LLC, ½ Smart Storage System
- DKB Household USA, Cole & Mason Duo Oil & Vinegar Pourer
- OXO International Ltd., Silicone Oven Mitt
- Typhoon Homewares LLC, Mason Cash in The Forest Flour/Coffee Canister 128-fl. oz.
Cutlery & Cutting Tools
- Cangshan Cutlery Company, TC Series
- Chef Randall, Bolo The Original Rolling Knife
- DKB Household USA, Zyliss Control Cutlery
- Ginsu Brands, GINSU DishwasherSAFE 14-Piece Knife Block Set in Purple
- Wüsthof, Classic 4.5-inch Asian Utility Knife
Gadgets & Kitchen Tools
- Bradshaw International, GoodCook TOUCH Ice Cube Tray
- Lifetime Brands, Inc., KitchenAid No-Mess No-Stress Citrus Press
- Mastrad Inc., Express Spoon
- OXO International Ltd., OXO Good Grips Good Gravy Fat Separator 4-cup
- RSVP International Inc., Balloon Quick Whisk
Home & Outdoor Décor
- DHP Furniture, Hartford Storage Sectional Futon
- Meco Corporation, Stakmore Expanding Desk with Storage Ottoman
- Philips Lighting, Philips SceneSwitch LED light bulb
- Twin Star Home, Bell’O Adjustable Height Desk with ActiveLife
- WellnessMats, WellnessMats Signature Collection
Home Environment, Floor Care & Cleaning Appliances
- Blueair, Blue Pure 411
- BONECO Healthy Air, BONECO U350 Ultrasonic Humidifier
- BONECO Healthy Air, BONECO W200 Air Washer
- Crane USA, Crane Evaporative Humidifier
- iRobot, Roomba 690 Wi-Fi connected Robot Vacuum
Home Organization, Laundry Care & Non-Electric Cleaning
- OXO International Ltd., Aluminum 3-tier Shower Caddy
- OXO International Ltd., StrongHold Suction Chrome Soap Dish
- Sterilite Corporation, Sterilite 2.2 Bushel Divided Laundry Basket
- Unger Industrial, LLC, Unger 2-in-1 Grout & Corner Scrubber
- YouCopia, LinkedBin Drawer Organizer
Personal, Health & Garment Care
- EpiladyUSA, Inc., Epilaser
- Polder Products, LLC, Polder Nail Station
- Pretika Corporation, Pretika Shiatsu Foot Massager with Thermal Technology
- Revlon Hair Tools, Revlon PRO Collection 360 Surround AC Styler
- Spectrum Brands, Remington HC4240 Shortcut Pro Haircut Kit
Tableware, Serveware & Beverageware
- Built NY, Built Flip Top 18-oz bottle
- Built NY, Perfect Seal 17-oz bottle
- Built NY, Touch 16-oz travel mug
- Typhoon Homewares LLC, Kilner Food on-the-go
- Zoku, LLC, Vacuum insulated stainless steel bottle
Best of the Best
- Bronze – Braun MultiQuick 9 Hand Blender
- Silver – Philips SceneSwitch LED light
- Gold – Blueair Plue Pure 411
First annual Smart Home Award
iRobot Roomba 690 Wi-Fi connected robot vacuum