Sumi’s Offers Unique Shopping Appeal
Sumi’s, located near Hollywood, has been offering a variety of unique merchandise for 14 years. Sumi Siegel, owner, began creating approximately 20 years ago, when she made a handmade purse line with her mother, which Siegel sold around the U.S. and at art festivals.
Her passion and appreciation for handmade goods crafted the vision she had for her business. Sumi’s is located in Los Feliz, a well-established neighborhood, “just below the hills” where everything is pedestrian friendly. The plethora of restaurants, markets, and variety of independent boutiques are other noteworthy characteristics of the neighborhood.
Sumi’s products are sourced from the U.S., Japan, Israel, Europe, Canada, India, Africa and Nepal. Siegel works directly with designers and attends NY NOW and other LA shows to procure the ideal mix for her store.
The emphasis on jewelry and handmade, small- production items are a definite draw, but Sumi’s also sells handbags, scarves, art, home décor and more. Sumi’s busiest times are the holidays, Mother’s Day and Valentine’s. “We are a go-to place for gifts,” she said.
A majority of Sumi’s customers are long-time, repeat customers who are helped by Siegel’s two staff members. “We keep track of people’s interests, buy with specific people in mind, and call customers when things come in,” she said.
This focus on customer service coupled with Siegel’s custom product line and hand-crafted merchandise is what makes it a popular store. “I love the daily interactions with the people that come into the store and I love being surrounded by beautiful things made by talented and creative people,” Siegel shared. “It’s all so inspiring.”
“I love the daily interactions with the people that come into the store and I love being surrounded by beautiful things made by talented and creative people — It’s all so inspiring” ~ Sumi Siegel, owner Sumi’s
Best-Sellers at Sumi’s
- Home Décor: Wolfum, Gary Bodker, Held, Kiku Handmade, Counter Couture
- Stationery & Greeting Cards: McBittersons, Yeppie Paper, Power and Light, Ghost Academy, Carolyn Suzuki
- Apparel & Accessories: Dana Kellin Jewelry, Arivka Jewelry, Rebecka Fröberg Jewelry, Emily Amey
- Jewelry: Acanthus Jewelry, Ashka Dymel jewelry, Vismaya scarves, Gray Market Designs
- Candles & Home Fragrances: 42 Pressed, Surfs Up Candles, Cantrip Candles
- Baby & Kids: Cate and Levi, Woolbuddies, Counter Couture, Bad Pickles
- Art: Art prints by Timscapes, Tay Ham, Methane Studios