WPD gives sustainability in jewelry a new meaning for Earth Day
As we celebrate Earth Day today and place so much emphasis on creating a positive footprint in today’s climate, the retail industry has seen a major shift toward sustainable and eco-friendly options.
In fashion, this often means sacrificing luxury and style for goods that are less attractive but more impactful. This doesn’t have to be the case. There are many ways to ensure that sustainability is taken into consideration without giving up on well-made, well-designed, high-end items.
One incredible solution is to focus on pre-owned jewelry and recycled diamonds, delivering the best stones and jewelry without contributing to the environmental harm or dangerous chemical output caused by diamond and gold mining. Manmade stones are not the only answer, in fact, they’re definitely not our answer.
WP Diamonds, a leading purchaser of diamonds, luxury watches and fine jewelry and industry expert, has played an integral role in the increase in circulation of pre-owned diamonds, luxury watches and fine jewelry across the board. The WPD brand has worked hard to align themselves with reputable brands that are ethically sourced and pays close attention to exploring the history of each of their diamonds, going one step further to keep conflict-free stones on their customers as much as possible.
WP Diamonds redefines the idea of low-impact diamonds and fine jewelry, evolving the conversation to incorporate both social and environmental impact equally and simultaneously, rather than just one or the other.
Did You Know?
- Each year over 150 million carats of diamonds are mined from the earth, extracting 1750 tons with each carat. That’s over 260 Billion tons of earth per year.
- 1 carat of mined diamonds also causes 9 liters of fuel consumption, 2,500 liters of water usage and half a ton of Greenhouse Gas emissions.
- 20 tons of waste is produced to create one single Gold ring. This waste contains toxic Cyanide, used to dissolve the Gold or Silver from the earth’s ore, which goes on to poison the land and waterways in that area.
- Pollution in land and waterways due to mining has increased over 50% since 1950.
One Thing WP Knows For Sure
- A pre-owned diamond looks and feels exactly like a brand new one but contributes to none of the above. Not one.