Gum Tree a Charming, Unique Shop
Gum Tree is located in Hermosa, a beach town known for its locally owned business. Lori Ford, CEO, recognized her desire to own a unique boutique. “As long as I can remember I wanted to have a shop of my own. And actually I always wanted a shop inside a house, with each room of the house representing the product that would go in that room,” said Ford.
Prior to opening the store, Ford and her family lived in New York City but missed their family in California. “We found out my favorite house on Pier Avenue was for sale, so it seemed like it was meant to be,” she said.
“My method for buying is very simple, I just buy what I like! And that way I can believe in every product we sell, it’s all something I would want for myself or to give as a gift.” ~ Lori Ford, CEO Gum Tree
Gum Tree opened 10 years ago and now has another location in Manhattan Beach. Between the two locations, Gum Tree has 30 employees and continues to provide a unique shopping experience. “We are a home and gift shop and organic Aussie cafe, housed in a 1911 craftsman bungalow — just a stones throw from the ocean in Hermosa,” she shared.
Gum Tree sells home décor, jewelry, children’s gifts, cook books and stationery. Ford explained she purchases what she likes. “That way I can believe in every product we sell; it’s all something I would want for myself or to give as a gift,” she explained.
To ensure a diverse merchandise mix, Ford sources her merchandise from industry shows: NY NOW, all LA Markets, Las Vegas Market, and Maison Objet as well as through world-wide travel. “I still love to buy for and merchandise the shop. But the relationships I’ve made over the last 10 years, is my favorite part,” she said.
“We are a tight-knit community here and we are so lucky to be a part of that,” Ford shared. She also believes part of Hermosa’s charm is being surrounded by “businesses owned by friends and neighbors.”
Best-Sellers at Gum Tree
- Home-décor: Vintage Indigo and Mudcloth pillows.
- Kitchen items: Cookbooks, Laguiole knives, and Be Home marble and wood serving pieces.
- Stationery and/or greeting cards: Rifle Paper.
- Apparel and/or accessories: Chan Luu cashmere silk scarves, cover- ups from Pool to Party.
- Candles and/or home fragrances: Lafco and Gum Tree’s custom line of candles named for local beaches.
- Baby and kids: Bla Bla, Jellycat, and a multitude of books.
- Jewelry: A wide range of jewelry lines in a variety of price points.