Kellytoy teams up with California high school
Kellytoy, a subsidiary of Jazwares, announced that it has contributed nearly 100 of its best-selling “chonky” Squishmallows to Silverado High School (Silverado) located in Mission Viejo, California, in the Saddleback Valley Unified School District, to help support school efforts such as its PBIS Program (Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports). Kellytoy will officially kick off a formal partnership with Silverado when the school year resumes this fall.
Silverado is a Model Continuation High School. In 2019, the school launched its PBIS Program as one of its Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports. The PBIS program enables students to virtually earn “Eagle Bills” for positive behavior and redeem them for Squishmallows and other rewards from the PBIS student store.
“We are thrilled that Kellytoy has donated so many Squishmallows to our school,” said Cindy Garamoni, assistant principle at Silverado High School. “Our students absolutely love Squishmallows. Plus, our teachers utilize the huggable plush toys as a social-emotional support. Squishmallows have been placed in all classrooms and other areas of the school. They have brought tremendous joy to our students. Additionally, they are the most popular award in the PBIS store.”
“We’re delighted to be able to help the Silverado students by donating members of various Squishmallows squads to the school,” said Jonathan Kelly, co-president of Kellytoy. “Members of the online Squishmallows community regularly mention how helpful the mallows can be for emotional support, sensory issues or those who are stressed or suffering from anxiety.”
Fast Facts – PBIS Program
- PBIS is helping change school and community culture by teaching positivity through successfulness, optimism, accountability, and respect (SOAR).
- Silverado’s suspension rate dropped 73 percent during the first year of PBIS implementation.
- PBIS has helped Silverado’s students use less profanity and more descriptive language.
- PBIS is run exclusively on community and staff donations.
- The Silverado staff loves seeing the excitement the kids have when they pick up their earned PBIS items at the store.
- Approximately 10 percent of Silverado’s student body have redeemed Eagle bills for 50 Squishmallows since they were donated to our school less than a month ago.
- Silverado has had 267 PBIS store purchases from students this school year despite the distance learning format.
- Students get excited about purchasing chances at winning raffle items.
Squishmallows are available in a variety of shapes and sizes from 3.5 inches to 24 inches. Popping with personality, each Squishmallows character’s name and background story is detailed on its hangtag. The unique line is made of super soft spandex “EF” and polyester stuffing as puffy as marshmallows. For more information, visit www.squishmallows.com.